NOTE ON ASBESTOS
This item is a hazardous material and requires special attention.
The Regional Landfill can only receive asbestos from a licensed waste hauler, registered with the MOECC. The Regional Landfill does not accept asbestos from residential customers. Residential customers can call restoration companies, or local waste haulers for the removal of asbestos.
Commercial customers can contact the Regional Landfill at 519-776-7941 for an appointment and/or more information.
The Essex-Windsor Regional Landfill was officially opened on July 2nd, 1997. The site was originally licensed to accept waste from all generators of non-hazardous solid waste located in the County of Essex and City of Windsor. Subsequent amendments to the original Certificate of Approval have expanded the site service area to include the Province of Ontario.
The Regional Landfill is 123 hectares in size with a waste footprint of 58 hectares. The disposal area is divided into five cells.
The site is licensed by the Ontario Ministry of Environment (MOE) under Provisional Certificate of Approval (CA) No. A-011101 (September 28, 1995).
The Essex-Windsor solid Waste Authority operates the landfill. Staff of the Authority manage the site and operate the weigh scale, as well as providing inspection services, contract administration and maintaining the associated records for the site.
The Essex-Windsor Regional Landfill Site is located in the south half of Lots 14, 15, and 16, Concession 7, in the Town of Essex (formerly the Township of Colchester North) at 7700 County Road 18.
Waste Reduction Hotline: 1-800-563-3377
Hours of Operation
The Regional Landfill is open:
Monday – Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 4:45 p.m.
Saturday: 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Holiday Schedule (2017/2018):
- Christmas Eve Day (Dec. 24th) – closed.
- Christmas Day (Dec. 25th) – closed.
- Boxing Day (Dec. 26th) – closed.
- New Year’s Day (Jan. 1, 2018) – closed.
Only vehicles with a gross vehicle weight of 3 tonnes (or more) can gain access to this site. If your vehicle is under the restricted weight of 3000 kg, you are welcome to use the Public Drop Off Depot (Windsor) or Transfer Station No. 2 (Kingsville).
Accepted Materials / Fee Schedule
The Regional Landfill accepts the following types of materials:
- Residential Refuse/Garbage
- Industry, Commercial & Industrial Refuse/Garbage
- Tree Trimmings / Brush / Grass / Leaves (dedicated loads for composting)
- Asbestos (by appointment only, must be a licensed M.O.E. Hauler)
Tipping fees are applied depending on the type of waste/material being disposed of. Rates are subject to change without notice.
Regional Landfill Fees – January 2018 (subject to change without notice).
Listed below are all the payments methods currently accepted at the Regional Landfill.
- Cash / Debit
- Cheque – A $25 charge will be applied against NSF cheques.
- Drawdown (For Business Customers: Drawdown Account constitutes payment in advance. Payment is credited to your account and tipping fees are deducted after each use).
No vehicle shall be permitted to enter the Site with an uncovered or unsecured load of waste. Any vehicle entering the Site with an uncovered or unsecured load shall be subject to the following procedures:
- First Incident: The driver/company of the vehicle will be given a verbal warning.
- Prior to any vehicle entering the site with an uncovered or unsecured load of waste, the scale clerk shall record the make, type and license plate number of the vehicle and a general description of the waste.
The Essex-Windsor Solid Waste Authority has implemented a number of waste bans or restrictions at the Regional Landfill and as a result does NOT accept:
- Fish Offal
- Radioactive Waste
- Biomedical Waste
- Unidentified Chemical Waste
- Industrial/Commercial Chemical Waste
- Creosote (contaminated materials)
If you wish to dispose of a restricted material, please refer to the Public Drop Off Depot (Windsor) or Transfer Station #2 area of our website for a listing of acceptable materials at these sites.